Play Sports Group (PSG) are looking for a Backend Developer to join our growing team based in Bath.
We’re looking for a forward-thinking developer to help drive our business forwards. You will be working with a small team to design and build services to handle large quantities of data, as well as web applications and mobile apps to consume these data and perform analyses upon them. Data service designs will need an emphasis on scalability and speed so it can keep performing well as the platform grows. You will work closely with product owners to ensure the services are designed to serve their needs.
You will be working with modern web technologies, choosing the right language and backend frameworks for each case. The services need to be robust and reliable, so you will uphold high engineering standards in all the codebases you touch. You will be actively looking for the best solutions to the tasks at hand – we want a self starter who will own their development decisions and drive solutions to completion.
You will be up for a challenge and willing to learn; if you need to head out to a conference to keep you up to date and your skills sharp then we’ll make sure you can do just that. You will also have access to online training courses in a wide variety of topics to help you keep developing professionally.
WHAT YOU MUST HAVE
- A great sense of teamwork
- Solid foundations in software architecture and development
- Software quality at your heart
- Curiosity for new technologies
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience developing mobile apps, data warehouses and/or web applications’ backends
- Experience with GCP or AWS cloud platforms
- Experience working MEAN and/or LAMP software stacks
- Experience designing, building and consuming APIs.
- Experience designing and implementing database schemas with an emphasis on speed and scalability.
- Experience designing, developing or working with CMSs
- Knowledge of OAuth protocols for authentication.
- Knowledge of build automation tools and continuous integration processes (CircleCI, Jenkins, Bitbucket Pipelines)
- Working knowledge of JIRA.
- Experience with docker/containerisation
- Some background in data analysis, statistical modelling or machine learning.
- Happy working on a Mac.
- An interest in cycling and the bike industry.
The Play Sports Group is home to Play Sports Network and Shift Active Media.
Play Sports Network is the world’s leading creator of cycling digital video distributed on YouTube and Facebook. We are a digital sports media company focused on the world of cycling. Combining our deep love of the sport with world leading expertise in video and digital distribution, we have built a leadership position in the market.
We operate a number of market-leading YouTube channels, Global Cycling Network, Global Mountain Bike Network, Global Triathlon Network, EMBN, GCN Tech and GMBN Tech with over 2.9 million subscribers and millions of fans across associated social media platforms. Our presenters are ex-pros from the very highest levels who connect with the fans, and with world class athletes.
SHIFT Active Media is the award-winning cycling media agency and works alongside some of the biggest, most high profile brands in the cycling world. SHIFT is a full-service creative and communications agency providing a wide a variety of project to help clients achieve their strategic objectives: from website design and build, apps, print and digital advertising creative, media planning and buying, through social media strategy and delivery, commercial video creation, PR, and beyond.
- Recently refurbished city centre office
- MacBook Pro and dual monitors
- Generous holidays
- Company pension scheme
- A good coffee machine
- Bike parking
- Really good showers
- Free fruit and jelly sweets
- Relaxed office environment
DO YOU THINK YOU’VE GOT WHAT IT TAKES?
Send us your CV and covering letter explaining why you are perfect for the role and the salary you think you deserve to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘Backend Developer’ as the email subject.