Paralegal / Legal Assistant to in-house Counsel
Play Sports Group is recruiting for the newly established role of Paralegal / Legal Assistant to our in-house Counsel. For this role, you’ll need a Law degree (2:1 or above or a postgraduate law conversion degree) a good academic record and the ability to summarise and communicate complex legal issues concisely and effectively to a non-legal audience. If you have a postgraduate diploma in legal practice (LPC), that would be a distinct advantage as would foreign language skills, particularly in Spanish, Italian, German or French.
As a paralegal, you will provide vital support to the group’s In-House Solicitor by assisting with the drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts, precedent and document management, legal research and commercial contract due diligence, as well as responding to ad hoc legal queries.
With supervision from the group’s In-House Solicitor, you will assist with the full spectrum of legal work coming from team members across the channels based side of the business (Play Sports Network) and our media agency (SHIFT Active Media), as well as instructing and liaising with external counsel on specific projects.
As a paralegal you will be involved with the following tasks:
- Commercial contracts – liaising with commercial teams throughout the business to understand the shape of a deal, using templates to assist with contract drafting and negotiation;
- Contract management – tracking contracts through the drafting and completion process and planning for renewals, ensuring full and accurate records are stored at all times;
- Supplier terms – reviewing and reporting on supplier terms as required throughout the business, including recruitment, asset hire, equipment purchasing, licensing, insurance
- Dispute resolution – assisting the group’s In-House Solicitor in resolving disputes to achieve the best outcome for the group;
- Legal projects – assisting with the management of larger legal projects, including instructing external counsel (including intellectual property and the launch of new products by the group);
- Risk management / Due Diligence – researching contracting entities and undertaking checks in association with the finance team to highlight any financial risks;
- Precedent management – creating, updating and improving the group’s standard terms and legal precedents;
- Legal research – researching specific points of law including contract, data protection and regulatory rules (the business has full access to Practical Law); and
- Other ad hoc tasks as and when issues arise.
Other skills that are important for the role are:
- A logical approach and good analytical skills;
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively both as part of a team and independently;
- Good word processing and general computer skills;
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Previous experience of working in a commercial legal environment;
Play Sports Group (PSG) is the world’s leading digital sports media company focused on cycling and tri-sports. Combining a deep love of the sport with peerless expertise in video and digital distribution, PSG has built a leadership position in the market, with 45m monthly video views from audiences across its eight channels that include Global Cycling Network (GCN), Global Mountain Bike Network (GMBN) and Global Triathlon Network (GTN), along with the first two of a growing number of non-English language channels, GCN en Español and GCN Italia. Headquartered in Bath with over 150 employees, PSG also includes the award-winning cycling media agency, SHIFT Active Media, that works with some of the biggest, most high-profile brands in the cycling world. PSG recently secured further investment from Discovery Inc, the global media group behind brands including the Discovery Channel and Eurosport. This investment, which resulted in Discovery taking a controlling stake in PSG, will fund the continued development of the Group.
- 5 weeks holiday, plus bank holidays & Christmas week shutdown
- Enhanced sick pay
- Pension Plan
- Bang up to date technology and equipment with which to work
- Modern offices with air con, showers, bike parking & coffee machines
- Company bike rides each summer during office hours
- Christmas Party and summer bike ride/parties
- Free lunch every month before payday
- Free birthday pizza lunch out
- Welcome gifts: GCN/GMBN cycling and casual wear
- Up to 50% discount in the GCN, GMBN and GTN shops
- Employee Referral Scheme
- A fantastically vibrant, positive, friendly, active and collaborative working environment
To apply please complete the form here